Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pancake Breakfast


Over the weekend we had a sleepover party with my niece, Sienna and my nephew, Tavian. Normally if I were hosting guests, even little ones, I like to plan ahead. I buy special snacks and set up fun things for us to do to get in full party mode with the kids. Kinda silly, but always fun. This sleepover was sort of a last minute decision since the kids were already over and begging, so I had to wing it. Since it was just about dinner time once we decided they'd be staying the night, I quickly got a hold of Eric on his way home from work so that he could pick up pizza, followed by ice cream while we snuggled up for a movie. I figured I'd make a big pancake breakfast in the morning to continue the sleepover fun. Once I looked in the cabinet, I realized I didn't have the usual pancake mix I keep on hand. There it is, another confession - I make pancakes from a box. But, my box was gone and now I was left pancake-less. Rather than pour everyone a bowl of cereal, I decided to do a little googling to find out just what it takes to make real pancakes...you know, the non-box kind. So, I did. Turns out it's pretty easy and just as it happens with every homemade recipe I take on, I can't believe I was making it from a box!!! 

After looking over a handful of recipes and reading some reviews, I decided to go with a whole wheat pancake. Not only do I like the taste of whole wheat, but I figured I might as well bump up the health factor too. For the kiddos I dropped in some mini chocolate chips to better my chances they'd eat them! They came out SO good and even the little ones were begging for seconds! I was desperately hoping some fresh berries would appear out of thin air because a simple syrup drizzle was only leaving me wanting more. Don't get me wrong, they were great...but fresh berries on a whole wheat pancake - YUM! 

I highly recommend that you grab all the ingredients, along with some syrup, berries...maybe even some whipped cream and a little side of bacon...and then make a big pancake breakfast this weekend! Also, they freeze great too! We had leftovers that we popped in the toaster for a round two breakfast the next day! Enjoy!!

Whole Wheat Pancakes
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups + 2 tbsp fat free milk
2 tsp vanilla
Add ins - nuts, fruit, chocolate chips, etc

Mix all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix through (but not too much)
Heat a large skillet on medium. Coat with cooking spray. Pour mix on pan to desired size. If using add ins, drop them in now before flipping. When edges start to cook and bubbles form on top, flip to finish opposite side. Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!

PS. You can find this recipe and other great healthy meals here!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...