Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Science

Every day after lunch I try to get some down time while my two little guys go in for a nap. Mama's need this time for lunch, a shower, or housework I've neglected all morning! But if I can manage to get all that done or decide that being clean isn't a priority, I try to squeeze in special time with my big boy, Owen! Today we did some fun science experiments and he really got into it. These are projects that were super easy, really quick, and even mess free! Owen loved that we had a fun time experimenting and I feel good about spending some one on one time! Also, these experiments are made up of simple things I already had in the house and require no prep at all. Do you have kids? Do you know kids? Grab yourself a little one and get to work! 

BUOYANCY
All you need is a carrot, a glass of water and some salt. Fill your glass with water and drop in a chunk of carrot. Watch it sink. Now slowly add salt, a spoonful or a generous pour at a time and watch what happens. Your carrot will soon float! Ta-Dahhh! 

CHEMISTRY
Gather a glass of water, an ice cube, a string, and salt. Dunk your ice cube in the glass of water and allow it to float to the top. Place one end of a string along the top of the ice. (I literally ripped one of my husbands old sweatshirt I had on) Sprinkle salt over the string and count to five. Pick up the loose end of the string and lift your ice right out of the glass. Ta-Dahhh!

VOLCANOLOGY
Grab a water bottle, red food coloring, vinegar and baking soda. Place your bottle in the sink and fill about 3/4 way full with warm water. Add a few drops of food coloring and about a 1/4 cup of vinegar. With a funnel (or a piece of paper turned funnel) drop in about a tablespoon of baking soda and watch your 'volcano' erupt. Ta-Dahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...