Monday, February 11, 2013

Life is short, make the cookies.

Here it is, friends...The best sugar cookie you will ever make! 
That good.

I discovered this cookie on Saturday while we were snowed in from the blizzard. Like I said in this post from Friday, what better time to bake than when you're stuck in the house with a few feet of snow piling up around you? So, that's what I did. And actually, the baking was also partly because I wanted to return a favor to a neighbor of ours by delivering fresh baked cookies in the storm!

In the morning, my husband headed outside to start cleaning up and as he worked on our front stairs, the boys and I watched through the window cheering him on. All of a sudden a truck (with a plow!!!) pulled in the driveway and cleared it for us! We had moved our cars to the side of the yard the night before in hopes a friend of Eric's might make his way over and give us a quick swipe, but lucky for us we didn't need to beg him after all! While our mystery plow guy was doing in front of where our cars were too, I secretly motioned to Eric out the window, "Do you know him?" (I don't exactly know how my hands went, but he got it somehow) and he motioned back, "No!!" (much easier to understand with a quick shake of the head) So who was this lifesaver?? Well, as he finished Eric ran over to flag him down and come to find out it was a neighbor of ours who lives just down the street. We've seen him drive by a thousand times and always wave hello, but who knew this guy had a plow? I certainly would have made my wave a little more enthusiastic, but I guess I didn't need to! After offering him money, he refused and went on his little snow plowing way. So, I did what any good housewife would do and I baked for him! Typical! 
^^Mystery plow guy in action!!^^

I found this recipe on - wait for it.........pinterest! ...Again. But let's be honest, anything worth trying is on pinterest! The original recipe they used turned these cookies into little birds nests which might be cute in Spring or at Easter, but for my purpose here, an egg on top would have been awkward. So instead, I just turned my frosting blue and added some green sprinkles I had left over from Christmas! I decided to post the recipe today because I've had quite a few people asking for it already. With Valentine's Day coming up, maybe you can turn them pink and add some little heart sprinkles? However you make them, just make them. You won't regret it. Well, until you step on the scale after you've eaten them all...but don't worry about that part yet. Life is short, make the cookies!!
Enjoy!!

Soft Sugar Cookies
1.5 cups unsalted butter, room temp.
1.5 cups sugar
3 large eggs
5 tsp vanilla extract
4.5 cups all purpose flour
4.5 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, until well combined. Beat in vanilla.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl. Slowly beat into butter mixture until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate one hour. 

Preheat oven to 350f. Scoop 1/4 cup amounts of cookie dough, rolling into a ball and flatten slightly as you place them on your cookie sheet, 2-3 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or just until set. Do not brown. Let cool on baking sheet for a couple minutes before removing from pan. 

Frosting 
5 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
7 tbsp milk
Mix together all ingredients until smooth. Spread on cookies and decorate!

**For the full recipe, birds nest and all, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...